How to Buy a RV – First of a series, When to purchase
I’m starting this post on the last day of January. Where I am the snow is about 3 feet deep in town – and deeper on the ski slopes nearby! Yes, I’m an RV’er, yes, I live in my RV all winter (lots of videos on my channel about RV living in the winter!), and yes, I love it!
I also work for a RV dealership in Casper, Wyoming. I wanted that out for “full disclosure” as my goal here is to inform, offer insights, and yes, if you are in my region – or are passing through and wish me to quote on your ideal RV, I’ll be glad to do so.
How to Buy a RV…
With that out of the way, I’m going to “build” this post over the next few weeks by adding short “how to” videos – each designed to address some aspect of How to Buy a RV.
I’d like to start with timing… because RV prices can vary by thousands (or more for expensive units) from the “high season” to the “low season”. Join me in my video below to get my thoughts on WHEN is the best time to buy a RV.
Summary – and a few additional thoughts…
- Timing can impact pricing on RV’s by thousands of dollars
- In the north, the slow season is November through February/March
- When RV’s can be had near cost in the winter, your trade in is also valued lower
- Dealers are motivated to move “old” inventory – right now that is the 2015’s, and soon the 2016’s
- The new model year units arrive in June and July from many vendors (eg – 2017’s due out in a few months)
There is much more to share on the topic of “How to buy a RV” – and additional brief videos with tips and insights ARE coming soon. Topics to be presented will include – buying a new vs. used RV, selecting the type of RV that is best for you, where to buy (and why), what to look for when selecting a unit (eg – features, design/engineering, manufacturer reputation), what to expect after you purchase, what kind of vehicle you need for your towable RV, negotiating to get the best price – and being realistic.
Got thoughts? Care to share? Please use the space provided below!
Also, while you’re here you may wish to visit our RV Across America home page and see what else is new. Our home page is organized by “tiles” – each dedicated to a topic of interest to RV’ers. As a full time RV’er for 4 years now, I’ve been steadily adding content! Feel free to contact me if you wish to contribute content to our site, or discuss how I earn a living while traveling (another hot topic!)
Lastly, please subscribe by locating the “follow us” in the upper right corner of our page to get updates as this site grows!
About the Author (Author Profile)Alan Sills is a full-time RV'er and has been since 2011. A science educator at heart, Alan has realized that its important to maintain an income stream while "on the road". He writes about RV life, RV issues, and living an entrepreneurial lifestyle.
Sites That Link to this Post
- If you’re considering purchasing an RV | 5 Kids and a RV | February 1, 2016
- How to buy a RV - New vs. Used | February 8, 2016
- Choosing the Right Type of RV - How to buy a RV - Part 3 | February 22, 2016