It was February 12, 2019, I awoke with a strange feeling. Being a “trooper” and knowing I was due in at Jackson Hole to teach skiing that day, I proceeded on my normal routine. I commuted across Teton Pass from Victor Idaho caught the bus at Stillson and headed up the mountain and get ready for a day on the slopes – my 75th of the season.
I took an early run on Apre-Vous, down a double blue (an expert run on any other mountain), and something was still not right. The reality? I was having a heart attack! I detail the events that followed here in a post I wrote just a few days after it all happened.
Two stents is all it took to restore blood flow, but naturally there was still much uncertainty. As I note in the videos below, I’m very impressed with the critical care I received, and far less impressed with the follow up care.
About 3 1/2 years later…
I had lost very little weight, I was still on meds, had high blood pressure (160/90 was common when I skipped a dose of my beta-blocker. I was functioning, I was skiing, biking, and swimming, but I was NOT truly healthy.
Then in the late summer of 2022, it all changed…
Here’s what I did to completely change my overall health in a matter of months – and the best news? And, I believe YOU can do it as well…
In this post as you read on and view the videos, enjoy the photos I’ve taken from the ski areas that honor the IKON pass this winter (’22-23) – which has enabled me to ski (so far) 33 days this winter – and with my improved health and lowered weight, I’m enjoying an INTENSE winter of skiing!
How my understandings about health and wellness may benefit YOU
Here’s my (relatively) complete story (I’ll fill in a few blanks below on points I didn’t bring up in the video below.) It is my belief that YOU may know someone who can benefit from my experience detailed here…
By going public here, I hope and pray that what I’ve learned may benefit you or someone you love.
A few things that you need to know about me –
- I’ve struggled with my weight and “girth” for much of my life (I can remember shopping as a young teen with my mother and her always asking for the “husky department”)
- Decades of poor eating and excess weight culminated in a heart attack in 2019 (as discussed earlier.)
As you learned in the videos above, it was not until Summer 2022 that I truly had a “health conversion” in terms of my diet. AND, while I’m NO FAN of “big tech” (and what it has done to the free sharing of information over the past few years), I WILL credit Google and YouTube as platforms to locate valuable information that has truly changed the course of my life.
My statement in the prior paragraph in NO WAY lets either entity named there “off the hook” from the blatant censorship and manipulation of information related to the “wu-flu” health “crisis” that has gripped the world over the past 3 years. There have been other topics that have been heavily censored, but FORTUNATELY health and wellness when it comes to diet, metabolic syndrome, and cardiac health are areas where information is still “free-flowing.”
Additional tips on my diet and actions…
As I noted in the videos, I’m pursuing a “near” keto diet – high fat, medium protein, and low carb. Since starting late last summer (2022), I’ve had very little bread or pasta, NO cookies, cake, ice cream, and I limit my breakfasts (pancakes, eggs, and bacon) to once (or at most twice) per month. Additional tips I can share are –
- INTERMITTENT FASTING – I believe this is a true KEY to success. Your body needs time to “reset” and occasionally, I’ll extend the fast from 18 to 24 hours. Some of the reading I’ve done suggests extending it to as much as 72 hours – and I may try that when warmer weather arrives.
- Snacking – if I’m going to eat early OR in between lunch and dinner, I have raw, unsalted almonds, walnuts and (limited) cashews in my home. Again – NO cookies or other junk. I do allow myself chocolate that is the “premium” stuff – like 85% cocoa so it is lower in sugar.
- Eggs – eggs are a great source of protein (and vitamins.) I eat about a dozen a week (usually in an omelet with cheese and some meat.) Yes, eggs contain cholesterol, but remember, (from what I’ve learned), cholesterol is not the problem, SUGAR and the subsequent inflammation are.
- Meat – I eat meat on a regular basis (virtually daily with dinner.)
- Carbs – best to have with dinner and thus keep lunch to fats and protein which will not produce an “insulin response”, thus (ideally), you’re only calling upon insulin to be produced by your body once a day.
- NO calorie restriction – in fact the more fats you eat, the more satiated you’ll be and not feel those hunger pangs associated with most diets.
- God made foods – NOT man made foods – in other words – I avoid heavily processed foods
- NO MORE MEDS! I am free of beta blockers and statins and KNOW that I’m better off without them!! (I’m NOT a medical professional so this is ONLY me sharing with you what I did.)
Even before my heart attack, I led an active life. I’m a traveler. I live in a 5th wheel trailer (which is holding up very nicely by the way!) I run my own Concierge RV Buying and Selling Service and strive to provide the best for each of my clients – regardless of whether they’re buying or selling an RV camper. And, during the winter, I ski – A LOT!
Losing this extra weight has MOST DEFINITELY enabled me to ski better than I ever have in my life, and I’m looking forward to getting on my ICE Trike when we have our first warm weather to see how it feels to ride it with my weight around 185 instead of 230! My relatively new inflatable kayak, rated to about 235 pounds will be far more appreciative of my new lower weight as well!
As I stated in my videos above, feel free to contact me if you want the complete list of supplements I take. One of my main sources is the Health Ranger Store. Mike Adams is the owner and his claim to fame is he formulates most of what he sells AND tests ALL of his supplements for lead and glyphosate contamination (and I believe his testing extends well beyond just those two.)
I routinely buy liquid vitamin D3-K2 from his store – item number 810007521336. I have also purchased liposomal vitamin C (better absorption) as well. He recently switched formulations and I have not purchased the new stuff yet. The original formulation is available on Amazon HERE. I’m also a fan of Black Cumin Seed Oil at Mike’s store and Vitamin B12. They even have nuts that have been tested for various toxins in their store! There are other supplements I buy here, and again, if you want the complete list of what I take, reach out to me.
Another supplier I’ve learned to trust is Pure Bulk. From them (among others), I’ve purchased Berberine, Lycine, and Quercetin. Research each and you’ll find lots of interesting information as to how they can potentially benefit you.
Upcoming posts on RV Across America
I’ve been here in the Salt Lake Valley (Draper) since November 1, in a few weeks I will ‘hit the road’ and do some traveling (my plans are still open.) I do plan to report on the Brinkley 5th wheel – generating some buzz in the RV world; my impressions of the RV show in Sandy, Utah (Feb 2023), an update on my (still) new kayak – inflatable – great for travelers! Further, more buying advice “from an industry insider.” And much more…
Like my content? Want more RV related info as we enter the spring RV’ing season? You’re invited to join my newsletter below – I only contact you when there’s a new post to review…